If you’re one of the millions of Americans experiencing back pain, help is available. Dr. James Ashford and his team at Ashford Pain Solutions in Athens, Georgia, provide interventional pain management solutions that can relieve your pain and get you moving again. Dr. Ashford is a board-certified anesthesiologist and pain management specialist who develops individualized treatment programs that address your symptoms as well as the underlying cause of your discomfort. Schedule your appointment with this talented physician today. Call the office or book visit online.
Back Pain Q & A
What causes back pain?
Back pain can occur at any age. Reasons vary greatly and may be related to:
- Muscle or ligament strain caused by poor physical conditioning, trauma sustained during sports, improper lifting techniques, or frequent heavy lifting
- Bulging or ruptured discs that, when healthy, normally act as cushions between the bones (vertebrae) in your spine
- Osteoarthritis, which is a wear-and-tear type of arthritis that typically occurs with aging and often affects the lower back
- Spinal stenosis or narrowing of the space around the spinal cord that compresses and irritates nerves
- Skeletal irregularities such as scoliosis, which causes your spine to curve to the side
- Osteoporosis or loss of bone density and strength in your spine that may lead to painful compression fractures
Certain factors can increase your risk of developing back pain, such as excess weight or a sedentary lifestyle that weakens supportive muscles in the back and abdomen.
How can you tell what’s causing my back pain?
Dr. Ashford relies on his medical expertise as well as a series of diagnostic studies to help uncover the cause of your pain. During your first visit, you can expect a thorough exam, a detailed discussion of your symptoms, and a careful review of your overall health.
Depending on the nature of your symptoms and results of the exam, Dr. Ashford may also recommend X-rays or other advanced imaging studies, such as a computerized tomography (CT) scan, to further identify the nature and location of the underlying issue. Standard X-rays show bony abnormalities. A CT scan reveals bony issues as well as conditions affecting the nerves, muscles, and other soft tissue structures of the spine.
What is the treatment for back pain?
At Ashford Pain Solutions, rather than masking your pain with therapies such as opioid pain medication, the goal is to relieve your pain and address the underlying condition.
Each treatment plan is unique and may include:
- Sacroiliac joint steroid injection to reduce inflammation and swelling
- Medical massage therapy
- Lumbar sympathetic block for pain traveling into your legs
- Minimally invasive procedure (vertebral augmentation/kyphoplasty) to treat vertebral compression fracture
For a comprehensive solution to back pain, schedule a visit with the experts at Ashford Pain Solutions today. Call the office or use their online tool to book your appointment.